Brent’s 2016 Recommended Summer Reading List is now available! Find it below for you to access all summer long. Notice our 2016 theme: Summer Brain Gain!
These are books we love, but of course the most important thing is to spend time reading. We know that summer reading is critical to maintain reading levels; kids that don’t read consistently over summer lose about one month’s worth of learning before school starts back up. Not only does this waste learning time in the fall, it creates significant gaps between the kids that have read over summer and the kids that haven’t, since kids that read at their just-right level all summer long often come back to school ready to move up levels!
Again this summer, students can log their reading on-line! There is a Brent Summer Reading Log, and it can be found at:
Each time your child finishes a book, he or she can enter the title and a little information about the book there. That way, we cantrack the reading that is taking place over the summer! It’s quick and easy, and you can log anytime.
We’re looking forward to hearing about all the great reading that your family does between now and next fall!
recommended summer reading 2016 (PDF download)
A reminder that the Brent LSAT election is tomorrow (Friday) from 8-9am. Ballots will be available in the school office. All families currently enrolled at Brent, and families enrolled for next year at Brent are eligible to vote. One vote per family.
Our 3rd – 5th grade performers will be on stage tonight (Wednesday 6/8) to present their practiced talents from 6:00 – 7:00 PM. Our Kindergarten – 2nd grade performers will be on stage tomorrow night (Thursday 6/9) to present their practiced talents from 6:00 – 7:00 PM.
Voting will take place on Friday, June 10, from 8-9 am for 3 new parent leaders for the 2016-2017 LSAT. Please read the candidate profiles.
The LSAT is composed of parents and teachers and advises Principal Young on academic, structural and curriculum matters at Brent. The LSAT also works with Principal Young to build the school budget provided by DCPS.
Issues before the LSAT have included but are not limited to:
- Evaluating effectiveness of teacher partners
- Deliberating and approving an Assistant Principal for 2016-17 school year.
- Working with Principal to find funds in the DCPS budget and leveraging PTA funding
- Approval of the hiring of Behavior Tech
- Monitoring enrollment numbers at Brent at all grades levels and deciding on class structure and number of classes at each grade
- Reviewing test scores and achievement gap at Brent and discussing and evaluating curriculum approaches to addressing shortfalls and supporting advanced students.
- Requesting designated funds from PTA to support curriculum programs at Brent that DCPS does not support due to budget constraints.
Thanks to all who attended the last PTA meeting of the year. Please see presentations on Summer Reading, new staff bios for the next school year and the general meeting slides, for your reference.
Summer Learning 2016
Final PTA Meeting Presentation
Bios for PTA General Meeting Staffing Update